How to rank your videos on first page of Google or video marketing on crack
Distribution and SEO for video
Since we want as many viewers and traffic as possible we’re going to distribute our video to over two dozen video sharing websites using free version of service – Tube Mogul. Tube Mogul is a handy tool for video marketing – it doesn’t only distribute your video to multiple video sites at a click of a button but also takes care of optimizing your video file for playback on those video sharing sites so you don’t have to worry about all that technical stuff. Video settings we have used are substantially larger than they normally would be, so in case if YouTube, Metacafe or Revver decide that they need to re-encode your video they would have enough data to work with. You need to setup your account at Tube Mogul (it is free) and on every video sharing website you’re planning to publish your videos to.
For faster results we need to pick which video sharing website we’re going to promote and actively build links to. Eventually you want to build backlinks to all of your videos but since we want results FAST we will focus on cream of the crop… which is YouTube.
Why your video will rank faster and higher
Backlinks (links from other pages to your page) are kind of like votes – the more votes you have the more chances you have to win the election (rank on the first page). YouTube is king of video sharing sites – #3 most trafficked website in the world, both authoritative and trusted website with millions of internal pages so it will require less backlinks to rank on the first page of Search Engines, oppose to if you would publish video on your own website.
Most of videos that I produce are screen captures done with Camtasia but if you’re really into hi-end stuff and work with a lot of equipment you can take a look at some of the professional screen capture tools.
How to SEO YouTube Videos
SEO Optimizing Your Videos to Rank on Page 1 of Google
Your video is essentially a web page hosted on video sharing website so all SEO factors apply to your video pages. Since we want to rank faster and higher in Search Engines we’re using YouTube as a platform for our video marketing campaigns so all the examples below are aligned towards YouTube videos… BUT same SEO principles work for any other video sharing website. With YouTube we don’t necessarily control all the SEO aspects like keyword rich url, meta description… but we still have a lot of things to work with so we can kick some butt and rank on the first page of Google.
Here is what you need to do:
Give your video SEO optimized title
- Factual, detailed titles work best (search for a keyword that you’re trying to rank for and check out Google Ads for some ideas).
- Use main keywords and / or keyword phrases (name of the product, model works well).
- Make sure title show benefit or promise help (most of the time people are looking for help, solutions or answers to their questions).
- Ensure that your video delivers on the promise.
- Use related Keywords (search for your keyword Google Keyword Tool and see the list of “Keyword ideas” – this is most relevant phrases considered by Google).
- Try to fit your message in 66 characters or less.
Optimize video description
Currently Search Engines can easily index textual information – they are not really good at indexing information inside video or images. By default your video page doesn’t have a lot of text for Search Engine spiders to crawl, so they may not consider it relevant/significant enough to rank for your target keyword (unless you have a lot of backlinks). We can fix this by adding relevant description – summary of our video.
- Write a description of your video (I usually try to have at least 300 words).
- In the beginning of your description include a link to your website (usually it is a page where they can learn more information, opt-in, buy) in the format http://www.yourwebsite.com/page (if you don’t use http:// it won’t be clickable).
- Use your target keyword and related phrases.
Optimize Your Tags
Tags are keywords that describe videos. For example, a YouTube marketing video might be tagged with “YouTube,” “Marketing,” and “Internet.” You can also use multiple words to form a single tag – just put quotes around them like “YouTube marketing”. In this case when someone is searching for “YouTube marketing”, your video have more chances to appear at the TOP results as more relevant. Tags help you label videos you upload so that other people can find them easily.
- Make sure your tags are relevant to your content.
- More tags are better – your video has more chances to appear in search results.
- Use combination of popular/ common words and more specific keywords (long tail searches). As of writing this there are over 200 000 videos on YouTube when you search for “surfing” and only little over 5000 for “Hawaii surfing” – the less competing videos the more chances you have to appear at the TOP of search results.
- Use adjectives and question words (how to, where, what…).
Remember lots of folks are browsing and they’ll use adjectives and questions to find what they are looking for.
- Use main keywords and / or keyword phrases as your tags.
- Don’t waste tag space on words like “and” or “to.”
Promote – Build Links to Your Video
The idea is simple – link to your YouTube page with anchor text being the keywords you would like to rank for – the same as you would do for regular webpage. Modify / re-write your script so it can stand out on its own as a blog post, article, news story, include a link to your YouTube page.
Utilize Your Own Web Properties
Next step is to distribute versions of this script on web properties that we can create and control – like your website your blog. You can always create a blog for free on services like:
Post it on article sharing websites like:
Social Bookmarking and News
Submit it to social bookmarking and news sites using service like socialmarker.com (it supports over 50 websites). But do not go hog wild, don’t be spammy. Creating bunch of accounts on different bookmarking websites for bookmarking your own pages is not a good idea. Bookmarking is a great way to get backlinks. BUT there is a problem. If you would do it yourself – manual bookmarking is not really effective and rather time consuming. Because you have to manually login to your account on each of these Social Bookmarking sites and add your page’s url, keywords and descriptions (socialmarker.com makes it easier but still… far from automation). Most of the people bookmark only their own websites – social bookmarking sites label such account as ‘Self promotion’ and they are most likely to be deleted. I am a big fan of automation so as part of my link building promotions I use service SYNND which eliminates problems mentioned above (click here to read SYNND review).
Press Release Distribution
Issue a press release about your YouTube video and distribute it using service like PRlog.org
DoFollow Blog Commenting
Go to CommentLuv Enabled Sites Search Engine and search for your niche related dofollow blogs. Make quality blog comments. That’s the key word here – QUALITY. Link back to your video page.
This guide gives you a lot of stuff you can do to SEO your YouTube videos. There’s a catch though: if you want to rank for highly competitive terms, you’ll have to actually do most of it. If you want drive 1000’s of red hot buyers to your videos from search engines – do not hesitate, take action! Optimize your tiltes, descriptions and tags, start building backlinks to your videos – use SYNND to speed up and automate this process.